Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Big C's

So I got on Twitter today (as I do now because I'm cool) and I read from Joe Cowley that Ozzie says Colon and Contreras are the 4/5 starters. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? But apparently he was not kidding me. This indeed does seem to be the case which leaves Clayton Richard in the bullpen it appears (possibly back to Triple-A).

I could not disagree with this decision any more than I do. These two guys are very similar and I don't know that it is worth the risk to rely on both of them. Odds are one will be decent (possibly even good) and the other will be awful. Therefore placing them both in the rotation is asking for failure.

By leaving Richard out of the rotation you lose a huge advantage that I think the Sox would have had by having 3 lefties. There's a certain allure to having so many lefties in the rotation to me. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it being the case for the Sox, and in the past the Sox have been awful against left-handed pitching.

But not matter what the case is, Richard needs to be given a chance, and by leaving him out it may be a shot to his confidence. "Yeah you made the team, but you will be in the 'pen behind two old, possibly washed up, guys we are paying more to than we are to you." Not sure that's what we need to be telling our young guys.

I just think this is a terrible decision by Ozzie and the rest of the staff. But at least those 3 games against Minnesota at the end of next week will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment