Saturday, May 30, 2009

Broadway Traded, Oswalt/Cain Rumored

The White Sox completed a trade for backup catcher Ramon Castro today. They received Castro and cash (how much, no one knows) for pitcher Lance Broadway. Castro is a solid hitter (.253, 3 HR's in 26 games). But I don't understand this trade.

What is the rush to move Broadway? Did the Sox really need a back up catcher? I know Corky was bad, but it didn't seem to me that the need was that critical. I was never that high on Broadway, but I don't understand moving a young pitcher like him for a backup catcher, one of the most useless positions on the team.

Castro will play maybe once a week, and from my research (Mets fan roomate) he does not have a great arm and he has had problems with the Mets organization including not being in shape and not stepping up when opportunities presented themselves. So all in all, I just don't get this one at all. I don't think Broadway is good, I don't think he will ever be good, but I think he's more valueble than Ramon Castro.

On to the more important and interesting stuff. Bruce Levine has reported that the Sox have interest in acquiring Roy Oswalt or Matt Cain. To me each would be perfect fits and I would be ecstatic if either one become a part of the White Sox.

There are a few problems with this happening though. First off any move that is reported Kenny Williams seems to kill immeadiatley. It's more visible looking at it the other way. None of the deals Kenny has ever pulled off were rumored before they happened. See Peavy, Griffey, Thome, Vazquez, and the list goes on.

The other problem is the move that happened today. Broadway was one of the Sox top pitching prospects and was rumored to have been part of the Peavy deal. Odds are the package the Padres were getting is the same package that would be neccesary to get Oswalt or Cain. So now there needs to be a new piece, and I really don't know who that is. There are other prospects but they are either too low on the totem pole meaning trade partners wouldn't want them, or they are considered untouchable by the Sox.

So as far as I'm concerned I don't see either of these things happening. I'm still on the bandwagon for making a play for Brandon Webb and/or Ben Sheets. The lethal combo of Don Cooper and Herm Schnieder can fix anyone. Who knows with Kenny Williams. At least it always keeps up on our toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment