Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What to do with the 2-3 Combo and Cubs- Astros Game 2

Allow me a brief overreaction to the performance of two players after one game. I feel I've made my thoughts on Kosuke Fukudome clear, but he showed again last night that he isn't much for hitting the baseball and he looked lost in centerfield. After Lou removed him in favor of Joey Gathright, it seems to me that Lou might not be big on Fukudome. I'm not going to worry about it yet because I know that Lou will just bench Dome if he keeps on not hitting.

I am worried about Derrek Lee too. He looked okay at the plate last night, but he was noticeably upset at himself after a strikeout. He has experienced a dip in power and production the last two seasons and he isn't getting any younger. I can tolerate Lee sucking a lot longer than Fukudome because at least Lee plays awesome defense and has a track record of being good over the course of the season.

On to tonight's game. Ryan Dempster the best pitcher on the Cubs last season takes on Wandy Rodriquez who may or may not be good against the Cubs. The Cubs lineup might have a different look to it with a left-handed pitcher on the mound. Theriot or Reed Mantle will probably hit second while the other will hit in the eight hole. Since Fontenot did have a good game last night Aaron Miles might have to wait to make his starting debut. 

No reason for the Astros to change their lineup. I think Carlos Lee will have a big game, especially since we shut him down last night. The Cubs have beaten up Wandy before, but I must have missed those games because I remember him shutting down the Cubs. 

Bottom Line- Dempster needs to show he is still a good starter and the Cubs offense should keep trucking tonight. Barring a bullpen meltdown the Cubs should be the favorites tonight, still I'm taking Astros to win 6-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment