Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pre-Season Awards Predictions

American League MVP

Grady Sizemore CF, Cleveland Indians

I really wanted to pick Carlos Quentin for this, but I just couldn's do it. I have really always been a fan of Sizemore. Well fan may not be the right word because I've probably swore at him more than any non-Twin in the American League. But this guy is really a star and I think this could be on of his best seasons yet. Expect him to be flirting with 30/30 and most likely hit over .300. Second place for me would be Mark Teixeira, followed by Carlos.

American League Cy Young

Dallas Braden, LHP, Oakland A's

Braden was named the Opening Day starter for the A's a few days back and I really expect this guy to have a great year. Pitching in the Colliseum in a weak division really bodes well for Braden. I'm always partial to A's pitching because of their track record, but I think this guy has a legitamate shot of being the next star that comes out of that system.

American League Rookie of the Year

Chris Getz, 2B, Chicago White Sox

Yeah that's right, I'm picking Chris Getz. Sure it's an extreme homer pick but I think he actually does have a good shot of winning it. First off he is the starting second baseman for the Sox on Opening Day which more than Matt Weiters or David Price can say with their respective teams. I see Getz hitting around .300 and stealing his share of bases this year. I think it will be a little bit of a down year for rookies, so Getz definitely has a shot.

American League Manager of the Year

Bob Geren, Oakland A's


The A's were brutal last year finishing at 75-86. This year I have them winning 84 games and winning the division. A 9 game jump isn't bad but going from worst to first is always something that puts you at the top of the list to win this award.


American League Most Disappointing Player

Josh Hamilton, CF, Texas Rangers

This was a close call for me between Hamilton and CC Sabathia. There is obviously a great chance either (or both) of these guys have good years, but I think the expectations are so high that an average season will be looked at as a colossal disappointment. I still have Hamilton having a solid season, he's just not going to be as good as last year and people will see it as a let down.

National League MVP
Manny Ramirez, LF, Los Angeles Dodgers
National League Cy Young
Tim Lincecum, RHP, San Francisco Giants
National League Rookie of the Year
Cameron Maybin, CF, Florida Marlins
National League Manager of the Year
Joe Torre, Los Angeles Dodgers
National League Most Disappointing
Prince Fielder, 1B, Milwaukee Brewers

No comments:

Post a Comment