Monday, March 30, 2009

Sox Thoughts of the Day

I will start with the news that Dewayne Wise has been named the White Sox starting CF and leadoff hitter. This to me is great news. I do not trust Jerry Owens and frankly I don't really like Brian Anderson (except when he was yelling 'no way' on the Podsednik walk-off). Therefore to give Wise his first chance as an everyday starter for the Sox seems like the right move to me. He's clearly out-performed the others in ST so there's really no argument there. The idea of needing extra speed out of Owens or the better defense out of Anderson to me is irrational because the Sox are not going to be able to afford guys flirting with the Mendoza-Line (.200 AVG) all year.

Jermaine Dye is scaring me. JD (god I hate when blogs use nicknames) is hitting a whopping .177 this spring. He's hit the ball out of the ballpark once, and only has 4 total extra base hits. As it turns out you are supposed to do well in Spring and then decline a little when the season starts and the pitching gets better and the weather colder. Let's hope I'm agonizing over something stupid here and Jermaine comes out and kills the ball Opening Week.

Finally, the Big C's as I like to call them (again with the nicknames, but it's better than the other racial epithets I may have used otherwise). They were both doing well. This is no longer the case. See today's (Monday) box score. They pitched all 9 innings between them and 13 runs were allowed. 7 to Colon, 6 to Contreras. Not good. Someone is going to have to take that 4th/5th starter slot, and right now I'd say throw their names in a hat and pick one out. Again though, I may be putting too much weight on pre-season baseball scorelines, hopefully this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment