Saturday, March 21, 2009

Getz Named Starter at Second

According to WhiteSox.com Chris Getz has been named the starter at second base.

I am not surprised by this at all, but I am a little surprised by the timing of it. Why now? There are still more than 2 weeks left before Opening Day. I would have waited at least a few more days and maybe more like a week. You don't want him to just settle in for the rest of Spring Training. There is still a lot of work that Getz needs to do before he becomes a great player. So telling him now seems like it may allow for a let down for him performance wise.

On the other hand, I guess informing him now lets him know that the organization has faith in him and he doesn't need to worry any more. He will be able to play a little more relaxed and not have to worry about impressing the coaching staff any more.

I think it was too early, but I can understand why to do it now. But it doesn't really matter what I think because come April 6th, Chris Getz will be the starting second basemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment