Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sox 4th and 5th Starter Slots

Right now the White Sox are in a situation where they do not have a solid 5 man rotation. Granted it's not the worst thing in the world because it is not even March yet. However I have a feeling we will enter the season still not thrilled with the way the staff sets up. Obviously it's Buehrle, Floyd and Danks as the top 3, but then it gets awfully hairy. That's why I'm here to clear it up a little.

The front runner for the 4 spot right now is Bartolo Colon. And judging by this picture we might be in a little bit of trouble. However I have heard that his velocity is up, he's in shape (again look at that picture and tell me how that's the case), and his attitude is right. I actually like the idea of Colon being the 4 starter. The biggest reason for me is that it allows the Sox a situation where there is balance between left-handed and right-handed and soft-throwing and hard-throwing. Contrary to what most people think about him for whatever reason his numbers last year were not bad in the limited innings he threw. So maybe he will be able to hold down the fort if that spot does indeed go to him.

Another 4 starter possibility is Jose Contreras. Every time we count this guy out he comes back and proves us all wrong. For me, I'd rather see some youth in the rotation, but if Jose is on his game he can be deadly. I think he may still be around because he is a Cuban hero and the Sox continue heading in that direction. But if he does well during Spring Training a spot may very well be his.

If I were to guess right now I'd say Colon OR Contreras will be the 4th starter and the other one will be in the bullpen as a long reliever (if not off the team entirely). Therefore the next set of guys are all in the running for the 5th spot.

The leader in the clubhouse to me is Clayton Richard. The former Michigan quarterback has some tough competition to beat out for that slot but he may have the upper hand based on his spot starts and middle relief appearances last year.

The man next in line if Richard screws up is Aaron Poreda. I can honestly say I do not know that much about Poreda. I do know that he is considered one of the top pitchers in the Sox system and he is expected to make a run at that coveted 5th spot. I will wait to give my scouting report on him until I get to see him, but the Trib is saying he's got a great shot at making the Opening Day roster, and Rotowire compares him to Aaron Harang, so he must be pretty good. I didn't even really know what he looked like, so odds are most people don't either, so there's a picture for everyone.

The last option outside of any dark horses is Jeff Marquez. Marquez was part of the deal for Swisher which means he comes from a Yankee system full of pitching talent but out side of Joba Chamberlain none of them have really turned out. The Tribune says he's similar to Jon Garland, which would be nice but in all honesty if we wanted Gar back, why didn't we just sign him. So to me he will end up in Triple-A or as long relief to start the year, but don't forget about this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment